A DMR Repeater – what's the list of kit requirements for one?

Home forums DMR question time. A DMR Repeater – what's the list of kit requirements for one?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by 2e0dxo 2e0dxo 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Author

G8NRC
    G8NRC

Participant

Hypothetical question here (but one I have thought about recently):

So I live in effectively a non DMR covered part of the country (NE Derbyshire bordering South Yorkshire) and get my DMR from HX or TD long haul via a 70 cms yagi.

There is effectively no mobile or portable coverage and no sign of anyone thinking about a local DMR repeater.

I live quite high up (IO93IF) giving me great coverage, I have the space (may need to negotiate with her indoors), I have a UHF white stick collinear available and a reasonably fast net connection and I also have the time and ability so – if I was to fill out the relevant forms, send off an application for a repeater licence etc and assuming I can stand the wait to get the application approved what other than the UHF Motorolo repeater (DM3000?) deep pockets and would I need on a repeater shopping list and are these available ex-commercial etc?

Steve

2e0dxo
    2e0dxo

Keymaster

i think a Duplexer, and a way to shut it off if need be. Marc will hopefully be able to tell you more. GB7MB is only going to be in my garden as i live on a local high spot. We are sharing the cost between 3 of us.

Hax
    Hax

Keymaster

Yes, deep pockets, a UHF Motorola DR3000, a duplexer, maybe a circulator and dummy load too, perhaps a UPS, as you said Steve, a good internet connx,  and most importantly.. the patience of a saint …

That’s the main hardware  – and of course, on the Legal / paperwork side, check the E1 application Form here  but i’m sure you’ve already seen that Steve 🙂

Then, when all that’s together, have a Look Here At programming your repeater  which has most of the info you need .. because that’s what we’re doing !

Good Luck Steve – I hope this helped a little .

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Hax Hax.

G8NRC
    G8NRC

Participant

Thanks guys,

it was just a thought and may still become a reality dependant on how far and fast the network expands. Perhaps add the kit to my Santa list?

Great system just has a few holes in the area coverage ☺

Thanks for your replies and good luck with GB7MB when the final paperwork finally arrives. I look forward to using it on my next trip to Barrow.

Steve

Hax
    Hax

Keymaster

Thanks Steve –  as DMR-MARC is still relatively new here in the UK, I just hope prospective repeater keepers will see the practical benefits of  a technology like TDMA,  The commercial world has been using DMR for ages, and my personal view is that amateur radio will be left behind if we don’t move along with the times.

If you decide to go ahead, i hope you’re aware the ETCC have temporarily stopped processing UHF Amateur digital wide-spaced repeaters for now, according to their twitter postings this last few days 🙁

Hopefully GB7MB is still in the queue though, and maybe we’ll all be on-air before christmas, with a little good luck, bringing some DMR repeater coverage to the Bay area..
    Thanks Steve..

-Hax-

G8NRC
    G8NRC

Participant

Hi, yes still relatively new technology and seemingly riddled with politics ☺

Hopefully these will find a level and we can all continue to enjoy the new emerging technology. Having invested in a DM3600 for home, a DM3600 in the Land Rover and a DP3600 for portable  use the frustration kicks in when you can only get access via a beam at home or drive high up on the the edge of the Derbyshire hills.

ETCC hold ups when they clear will at least allow the network coverage to continue to increase – unfortunately non planned my way yet – hence the questions.

Patience is a virtue – must find mine again!

Here’s to Santa dropping you a GB7MB pressie before Christmas.

Steve

Hax
    Hax

Keymaster

Yes, I don’t know why there are so many politics involved in British DMR, certainly in my 30 years as an amateur i’ve never heard such a pandemonium just surrounding a mode.

Sounds like you’re all ready to get going on DMR there Steve, no amateur DMR repeaters near you ..  there is a DMR repeater planned for Lincoln, but not sure when or if thats within range. i suspect not, there may be another in vetting that’s closer, i’ve not checked yet.
    though I’m sure there is simpelx activity.  round calling freq 438.6125 – and a few 12.5 kc up or down all on TG9 probably.
    Paitence is a virtue isn’t it .. ours is being tested somewhat by the usual NOV wait. Hopefully it will appear before xmas – that would be a nice xmas prezzy.
    If You see Santa Steve, tell him 🙂  Hope He brings You plenty of goodies too.

-Hax-

G8NRC
    G8NRC

Participant

Thanks for the reply. I have DMR access through GB7TD using a yagi to cover the 45 miles. I am fortunate as I am in a good high location and should also get into the WInterton or Lincoln when they come on.

Politics will always exist especially when you get a commercial system being brought into the ham arena. In the good old early days (76) when I got the call sign it paid off to be friendly with the local Pye Telecom engineer who was a source of knowledge and bits. Several of them are still good friends but interestingly they have all given up on ham radio. Too many black boxes off the shelf and not enough needing the lid off.

Have  fun with the box when you get the Nov  and as I pass on the way to Barrow I’ll put a call in

M0PIW

Participant

Out of interest what is the erp of GB7MB?

2e0dxo
    2e0dxo

Keymaster

Out of interest what is the erp of GB7MB?

Not sure yet, It will depend on what power the NOV gives us.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.