Code Plug in downloads – what version of CPS?

Home forums DMR question time. Code Plug in downloads – what version of CPS?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Hax Hax 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Author

G8NRC
    G8NRC

Participant

Good morning,

I recently downloaded the DM4600 code plug to use as a comparison when sorting out issues with my existing one but I then found that my version of CPS would not open it.

I use CPS V10.0 build 510 and have no real reason to purchase the upgrade. Are the code plugs in download created in a higher version of CPS I wonder and if so is there any way to make then usable to CPS users on previous versions?

Thanks

Steve

Hax
    Hax

Keymaster

Hi Steve – I’m sorry that codeplug was unuseable on your prsent CPS.

This is exactly why we have asked all codeplugs submitted for upload, to come with a description of the appropriate CPS version used, as well as info about author, make and model and the features the codeplug brings, but this information is generally not supplied.

I do all i can to check codeplugs which are uploaded, but time constraints dont always allow for my doing this, and only codeplugs i have crafted have the info.

I have a few different versions of Mototrbo CPS installed for the purpose of sanity-checking them, also Hytera, Connect Systems and Kirisun CPS also, as i have their codeplugs here awaiting descriptions.

There is no way of taking a codeplug back to a previous version unfortunately.

A problem is that newer is not neccessarily better, Amateurs must resist the temptation to upgrade the CPS and firmware, it limits the audience for made codeplugs, as an old codeplug can generally be read with newer CPS, but once is written back – to either radio or disc, its only that version CPS compatible – and newer. regardless of how old the actaul info inside is.

I think a small article may be warranted on this Steve, as its raising questions.

-Hax-

G8NRC
    G8NRC

Participant

Thanks for the reply – nice article.

Here’s a hypothetical question for you:

So if I buy an ex commercial DM3600 and find I can’t read the code plug could I load a code plug into CPS that it can read then write it to the radio to overwrite the existing one?

If the answer is no then there is a whole new ball game for the second hand pre-loved DMR radio market.

Steve

Hax
    Hax

Keymaster

Thanks Steve,  i would be inclined to say if you buy a used (hypothetical) DM3600 and can’t read the codeplug from the set, and you do have access to a recent version of CPS, i would say you’re hosed !

But seriously, assuming the codeplug is not password protected – which caused a bit of a stir when it was introduced – which is perhaps  an argument to keep a couple of (different) versions of the CPS available for use, for times when CPS versions limit your options..
    more reading HERE    !

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.