Text facility via DMR – how to

Home forums DMR question time. Text facility via DMR – how to

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by G8NRC G8NRC 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Author

G8NRC
    G8NRC

Participant

Sorry if this isn’t the right place to ask but can anyone enlighten me on the workings of the message /text facility i.e. what you can do and can’t and how to through DMR
    I occasionally get a text message on my DM3600 and DP3600 when I switch them on and have tried to respond but get a message failed notice. Does the recipient have to be on to receive a message? I do have the keypad microphone on the DM.
    Any guidelines gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Steve

• This topic was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by 2e0dxo 2e0dxo.

2e0dxo
    2e0dxo

Keymaster

I think the radio you are sending to has to be on, and within range of either RF or IP. Hopefully Marc will spot the post and offer a far better explanation.

Hax
    Hax

Keymaster

Hi Steve,  Yes, this is indeed the right place to ask, but I’m not sure if  i’m the best person to answer though, as we don’t use MotoTrbo messaging too much. best place to ask is likely on one of the Facebook pages  – if you have access to it, on the group UK Digital Amateurs here  and a few more like UK DMR-MARC repeater users  and  Northwest DMR Users .
    As far as I am aware, the DMR-MARC network has no store and forward for messaging, not that i am aware of Steve, so the only way is for the parties concerned to be online i imagine.

The IMPRES DTMF keypad mic makes sending messages ‘on the fly’ much quicker with the MotoTrbo (T9 i think it is) built in features etc .. but I know some folks do receive unsolicited Messages off people, generally on repeaters, but why i’m not sure, maybe they are just experimenting.

sorry I cant be much more help Steve, there are hugely underused facilities in these sets most Hams never touch,  we have used *many* of them, but maybe someone else has more info – maybe the groups mentioned above – if you can get on there Steve.

G8NRC
    G8NRC

Participant

Thanks guys,

I thought that was the situation with the text facility. I have used it ham to ham by arrangement but was trying to figure out how I got the “unsolicited messages” which were actually advertising kit for sale.

Voice to voice is fine for me ☺

Thanks again

Steve

Hax
    Hax

Keymaster

Hi Steve –
    I reckon, if its advertising, (even Ham gear)  i would myself regard that as spam and incorrect usage of the network, and i’d report it to DMR-MARC headquarters to be honest – if you still have the message and ID number its from – you may contact DMR-MARC HQ  – though its possible the ID number was bogus …   if not, i shall ask them, as it needs to stop – before it gains traction !

-Hax-

2e0dxo
    2e0dxo

Keymaster

Totally agree, it needs to be stopped. There was a few cases of people advertising on the dx clusters….It is just unwanted spam.

G8NRC
    G8NRC

Participant

Yes I agree also on the advertising issue.

I don’t still have the message any more but it was someone selling a DP3600.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.