Adblockers, web crap, and a little more privacy

Home forums General Chat Adblockers, web crap, and a little more privacy

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Hax

Keymaster

Most places you go to on the web now, will almost certainly be serving you adverts, or almost definately tracking you but always some agency is monitoring and recording every move you make.   This is only an introductory, but i still see many people complaining about adverts, most often on Youtube.
    Youtube pre-rolls and ads have been around for years, but people really like money by doing nothing, and so adverts have bled their way into Youtube, one of the most high profile sites on the web.
    If You’re ready to watch a video, it’s incredibly annoying to have to sit through some unwanted crappy advert about something you hate, using your bandwidth, electricity, hardware and most insidious, your time.

Adblockers are plugins or extensions for your web browser which aim to stop this, they’ve also been around donkeys ages too, but, like every other bit of software, it doesn’t always do what it ‘says on the tin’ and, sometimes it does rather more…
    Some Adblockers actually bring in adverts to your browser (mentioning no names) as they feed you tailored ads, different to what you may otherwise get fed, and for this, the adblock company gets a pay-off. Sweet, no ?

This last year or two, the one everyone has been raving about is Ublock Origin  by Gorhill.
    Actually, it’s not just an adblocker, as Gorhill himself says, it’s a wide spectrum blocker. It’s like a script blocker and firewall too, and more. Do NOT confuse “Ublock Origin” with the similar sounding “UBLOCK” use Ublock Origin(al)

Default settings are, of course, pretty conservative, and try not to break anything too much, there’s always a trade-off between security and convenience, and you’re the only one who knows where the balance is for the way you use the web.

For me, i put all settings pretty much up to maximum, and if a website breaks, then so-be it, it can be whitelisted, turned off or adjusted until the site functions as expected if really needed.
    Ublock Origin is available for every browser, FirefoxChrome, Chromium, Brave, Iriduim, Safari and even Edge although You really should try NOT to use Microsoft Edge Browser even if Microsoft have started building it underneath the bonnet from the Google Chromium browser, but if you must, enable WDAG at very least  before you start fixing it..
    If You really want to tighten up privacy with Ublock Origin, go into the settings and enable the extra lists and Prevent WebRTC and for extra privacy i  block CSP reports too, although some people criticized Ublock Origin for being over zealous.

Attachments:

You must be logged in to view attached files.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.